Join Global Family Travels in an incredible family journey to delve into the culture and wildlife of Costa Rica!
Participants will cultivate deep bonds with this coastal country through immersive experiences and opportunities to work together on community projects to promote positive change. Alongside fun, outdoor adventures such as exploring Costa Rica’s rainforests, volcanoes, wildlife reserves, beaches and lagoons, guests will enjoy a range of activities including chocolate-making and ancestral medicine workshops.
TRIP HIGHLIGHTS are below, click on ITINERARY to see all the details.
Global Family Travels
Much more than a traditional tour operator, Global Family Travels’ mission is to “Learn, Serve and Immerse” through community-based travel programs. In partnership with non-profit organizations and schools, we offer family-friendly and sustainable travel experiences in support of education, gender equality, access to clean water, preservation of local cultures, conservation and economic growth, all of which foster cross-cultural understanding and global citizens.
Our trips include a unique mix of cultural and educational activities, homestays and participation in local service projects aimed at improving the lives of people in the communities we visit.
Expect to expand your family circle when you embark on a Global Family Travels trip! Visit our website for more information: Global Family Travels
At Global Family Travels we believe that the most powerful way to learn is through first-hand experience. We let the country and its people be your teachers and supplement your experiences with reading lists, informal discussions, and a pre-trip orientation which includes information on the culture and history of your host country, helpful words and phrases, and cultural “do’s and don’ts”.
Learning themes unique to this tour include:
- Costa Rican culture and history
- Ecotourism and conversation in Costa Rica’s National Parks
- Flora and fauna of the rainforest
- Sustainable tourism and its impact on the local economy
The service project will take place in the community of El Roble in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. We have a couple of options for a community service partner during which we will work alongside the locals to make a positive impact on the community .
Community Service Opportunities include working with the following:
- Sarapiqui Learning Center: The SCLC focuses its efforts in four areas — environmental education, community development, conservation, and tourism — in order to help form future environmental leaders, raise the organizational capacity of local communities, promote sustainable land use, and connect tourists to the local community. Their programs, which are run by international volunteers and community members, serve hundreds of local people and thousands of ecotourists each year. These programs include environmental education, rural tourism activities, English classes, community outreach, women’s groups, and scholarship funds for high school students.
- Tirimbina Reserve: Tirimbna is a non-profit, biological reserve operated as an education, research, and eco-tourism center working to protect the area’s exceptional biodiversity. Currently the reserve protects 345 hectares of tropical forest, only a third of which is used for ecotourism and environmental education, keeping most of the reserve intact. However, the 9 km trails enable visitors to journey through the diverse surroundings and experience the forest up close.
This tour emphasizes authentic cultural experience to give you a true taste of Costa Rica. Guests will engage with conservationists and families in various communities.
Together you will learn how to cook a proper Costa Rican meal and interact directly with the members of the family, learning names, games and sharing traditions from your world and theirs.