The Avenue of Volcanoes in Ecuador is a 200-mile section of Andes Mountains which stretches from north to south across the country, dividing its coastal lowlands from the Amazon Basin and has a high concentration of volcanic summits. Just an hour south of Quito is the entrance to the magnificent Cotopaxi National Park. The park centers on Volcán Cotopaxi (5,897 meters/19,350ft), Ecuador's second-highest peak and one of the world's highest active volcanoes. On a clear day you can see its symmetrical, snow-capped cone from Quito. ( We recommend combining this with a visit to the Galapagos Islands!)
Highlights of our itinerary include visits to:
- Awe-inspiring Cototpaxi National Park, where you can hike, bike or horse back ride with the local chagras (Ecuadorian cowboys!)
- The historic city of Cuenca, a Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO, and take in the beauty of it’s winding rivers, graceful ironwork balconies and beautiful gardens
- Indigenous villages and markets, where you will learn about folklore and local cultural traditions and ancient crafts, such as mask making or weaving
- The stunning Quilotoa volcano crater, where we will be able to appreciate the crater’s serenely mysterious green lake.
- Ingapirca, an Inca observatory and fortress to learn ancient history!
TRIP HIGHLIGHTS are below, click on ITINERARY to see all the details.